Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I get asked often

I get asked often how I handle both boys at once and I always reply, "I just do." My family and friends have been super helpful with everything from babysitting, to bringing me meals, or just giving advice. It also helps that I love the boys so much and Doug and I have been praying for them to come into our lives for a long time. On top of that I thought that I would list a couple things that have really helped and I am not sure that I could have lived without, well at least helped me not to go crazy.

The BOB stroller. The boys just love to be outside and this has been the most amazing stroller. It is so light weight so it does not brake my back to carry it up and down three flights of stairs about twice a day.


The Baby Bjorn. Again this helps with being outside in tight spaces and in the beginning I would carry Ben around the house in it and still get things done without him crying.


A friend of mine gave me the book Baby Wise to read. This book made all the difference with how I scheduled our days. The boys are on the same schedule so I know when they are going to eat and take naps. It also helped with knowing the boys different cries so that I was not feeding them when they weren't hungry. It has always helped with the boys now sleeping through the night.


Colic Tablets. Ben was a very colic baby and when I gave him a couple tablets he would instantly calm down. They are natural so I did not feel bad giving them to him. Trust me, I tried everything else and these were the miracles workers. They also help for when they do not feel well instead of giving them Tylenol.


The Bumbo Seat. Many people do not believe in these because babies fall and hurt themselves but I just never leave them alone in one. But it makes them feel like they are part of the group which keeps them happy while I am cooking or putting on makeup.


Baby wraps. These help the boys calm down when fussy and helps them to sleep longer. It also helps when I need to carry both boys because they are more restrained.


Lastly, Breyers Black Raspberry Ice Cream. This is a new flavor that helps me relax after a long day....SO good!!

12 comments:

Tamara said...

mmmm... now i want ice cream...

erinmalia said...

this sounds just like me, except that I only had one baby to deal with. we also "did" babywise and loved that he slept through the night at 10 weeks old! we also loved the bumbo. kept him upright so i could work. and swaddling?! LOVE IT!

Cath said...

I'm right there with you - from Baby Wise to the Bob to ice cream at the end of the day. Babies make me crave sugar! And for some reason you just need to eat something sweet when everyone's sleeping! Glad you're handling it so beautifully! No surprise! You're right. You just do what you gotta do! Love you!

Side of Caitlin said...

I've heard Baby Wise is amazing. I'm going to try to buy the book this week! Thanks for sharing your tips!

Side of Jeffrey said...

Thanks Tamara...now we will have 4001 baby books in our house :).

I'm excited to try our bumbo out. We tried the Bjorn thing and he wanted to punch me in the face for daring to put him in it...but maybe when he's a little older he'll dig it.

April Celeste Garff said...

Now I want ice cream, too. I am always so impressed with how you manage 2 kids when I struggle with just the one!

KB said...

Thanks for sharing. Where can I pick up some colic tablets?? I love your last "aid."

Tamara said...

I found them at Rite Aid and Babies R Us. I ended up ordering them on Amazon as well because it was cheaper to buy in bulk (yes, I used them that much!!)

jrushing said...

It sounds like you are having so much fun! Reading your thoughts bring back memories for me! I always did love that question! I am glad that you finding things that work! It thought right around 6 months we all finally got the hang of everything! I am so happy for you all!

Kaedi said...

Oh Tamara, promise me you'll try the Ergo carrier. Those things are worth their weight in gold! Seriously, you'll never want to put that baby in a Bjorn again. :) They're not much to look at, but they save your back once those babies pass the 15 lb mark. AND, I could carry Sydney on my back up until I was about 8 months pregnant with Max. I should seriously do infomercials for them!

Karly said...

What is in the colic tablets... curious for future use and recommendation to others...

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

Yep, those are great things to have! I wish I were there to be a babysitter!