Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Reassertion

There have been accusations (I'm looking at you Jeff and Carl) that being out west has made me soft. That by virtue of having constant sunshine, living nearby pristine beaches, and taking two months of vacation I've somehow lost the edge of awesomeness I've possessed. I submit to you the following exhibits in my defense. First, I've doubled my Halo ranking. That doesn't come without significant dedication, personal sacrifice, and unwavering focus. It's a goal I've long held and now have conquered. Second, the new websites I've discovered. I won't link to them on here. Let's just say if you google fail you can go with results 1 and 3. I warn you, if you start with these you might not be able to stop. Third, the newest member of our family:
When we first moved my plan was to take the bus to school each day (it is neither yellow nor short but a public bus line). That worked for the first two weeks during orientation. The first day of actual classes two buses passed by full. I figured it was an aberration. It happened again the next day. Friday I got my motorcycle license and Monday purchased this beast. I kind of felt bad for the deal I got. He was obviously barely treading water financially and trying to raise some cash. He was looking for a life line. Instead I stuck it to him. I think I'm doing all right not going soft.
There are some other things going on in life. Since we've been asked to give our time and resources in support of Prop 8 it's been a hot topic around here. My co-workers in NY disagreed on politics but we were able to discuss things civilly. Though I didn't take up their positions I knew where they stood and why. It's unfortunate more conversations can't go like that. Like with most political topics, extremists lead the causes, tempers flare, and perspectives are lost.
Along the same lines the stock market has been on fire. I leave work and stop monitoring it daily and it acts all unruly like it runs the joint. I'm just hoping it recovers in time for my job search next year.
Oh, I've been in school also. The classes are okay but it's like recruiting bootcamp. My suits are the wrong colors or shades. Fortunately I'm a tall male with a good handshake. The lady said that should be enough. Tomorrow night is our first career night with all the big banks. I need to bring my A+ game. Good thing I haven't gone soft.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Finally! I can stop hating now. Don't die, though.

Reagan said...

Good to have you back on her, posting up a storm. Be carefie on that thing!

LeolaniNYC said...

way to keep it real Doug!

andrea gale said...

Nice motorcycle. Don't die. I think you should give the motorcycle a name. Something edgy, bold, and tough. Snuggles. That motorcycle definitely looks like a snuggles.

Turbo said...

Cool bike, man. It is tough to get those kind to stand up on one wheel, so you should be pretty safe. ;)

Carl Hardie said...

You look like someone else I know with that jacket and helmet... I can't remember who but I'll get back to you. Also, I think you are over-compensating for something with that bike. I stand by my orginal accusation that you are going soft. You couldn't even go more than two weeks on the public transportation out there. Weak-sauce. Oh, and you will need to rank a little higher than 20 to compete with the big boys. Bet you wish I had a blog that you could post mean things on now huh?

Adam and Lisa said...

A motorcycle?! Wow, Tamara's a lot nicer than me. Adam already knows he's not going to get one of those until he's with his second wife. ;)

Anna said...

That is some pimped out ride you have there. I agree with Andrea...it does need a name. I like the name Roy. Any takers??

tawni said...

Oh no he didn't!! I am yelling at Nate to come upstairs and look at this! HAHA! I really didn't think he would! I just want to see you on the back with some low cut jeans (ditch the G's for a g-string!!) and a bikini top! Woohoo!

Side of Jeffrey said...

I retract all comments of you being a wuss. The halo score is what changed it.

Ryanne said...

Love the bike! CA is so cool