Wednesday, May 14, 2008

yum..Banana Pudding

This past weekend we went to New Canaan, Connecticut to spend some time with the Carter's and to see their new home. Josh Carter was my Bishop was I was single and Doug served with him. The Orton's joined us and we all were ready for a BBQ. I was responsible for dessert. When I asked Doug what he wanted he replied, "Banana Pudding" with no hesitation. Now, it is my goal to keep my man happy so banana pudding it was. This dessert is so amazingly yummy that I thought that I would share the recipe.










Ingredients:
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups ice cold water
1 (3.4-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix (preferably
Jell-O brand)
3 cups heavy cream
1 (12-ounce) box Nabisco Nilla Wafers (no substitutions!)
4 cups sliced ripe bananas

Directions:
In a small bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined, about 1 minute. Add the pudding mix and beat well, about 2 minutes more. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight, before continuing. It is very important to allow the proper amount of time for the pudding mixture to set.

In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer,
whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the pudding
mixture into the whipped cream until well blended and no streaks of pudding remain.

To assemble the dessert, select a large, wide bowl
(preferably glass) with a 4-5-quart capacity. Arrange one-third of the wafers to cover the bottom of the bowl, overlapping if necessary, then one-third of the bananas and one-third of the pudding. Repeat the layering twice more, garnishing with additional wafers or wafer crumbs on the top layer of the pudding. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours - or up to 8 hours, but no longer! - before serving








It takes some time but so worth it.

9 comments:

Katie M said...

I've had this at some baby showers and it is de-lish. Thanks for sharing!

p.s. how does this work into our "goals?" hahaha

Tamara said...

YUM!!! I wanna make it!

Thank you!

Tamara said...

Ha Ha Katie...I had to fit it in before the workout sessions begin:)

Side of Caitlin said...

yes, this dessert is DELISH!!! You passed this recipe to me over a year ago and it remains one of my favorites.

Lyf2.0 said...

Yeah baby! That's my kind of eats!

arly said...

I have totally made this! You're right, it's the BEST!

Malesa said...

I'm totally saving this recipe. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I need to take it to some social function though so that I can make it and eat just a bite instead of snarfing up the whole bowl.

Tamara said...

Malesa, you are always welcome to share it with Doug.

Mia said...

I love any recipe that starts with an entire can of sweetened condensed milk!