Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Roll Call

I wanted to do a few shout outs to people/things that have affected me lately:

First, to running. It's been months since I've run pain free and while my hip still hurts after a few miles it feels so good to be back on the road. I don't think I can overstate how much I enjoy running and am glad I was able to compete for so long. And also giving me an excuse to wear short shorts and spandex as well as shave my legs. I'm forever indebted to the sport.

Tone Loc recently turned 42. If Funky Cold Medina doesn't do it for you , well, I don't know why you're reading this blog. Seriously though, think about some of his lines:
This is the 80's and I'm down with the ladies
My threads are fresh and I'm looking def yo was up with L-O-C.
He embodied everything that was good about 80's rap even though he only had two big songs. And he was in Ace Ventura which was a staple in our house growing up. For some reason my mom wouldn't let us buy it but we rented it so many times we paid for it several times over. One of my favorite memories of my brother Matt is doing a better impression of Ace than the actor in a show we saw in Florida. I don't know if he was embarrassed or in disbelief that a 14 year old kid showed up in front of dozens of tourists. At this point I'll also shoutout Matt for inspiring me to take the GMAT by rocking it and forcing me to bring my A-game.

My cousin Jon who took us to the MoMA for the design and the elastic mind exhibit. Jon moved to the city a few years ago. Before that he lived in North Dakota and for the first couple years he was here I saw him more often when he was in ND than when he lived here. I'm glad we got that figured out and we now see him and Kayte (not that it's always a package deal, for now) more regularly.

KROQ who is finally streaming online so I can listen to Kevin and Bean during the day now. Growing up, these guy were so hilarious. We would sit in the car before seminary waiting for them to finish their segments. I'm sure our teachers are thrilled to hear that.

Jeff, Caitlin, and Tracy for various reasons. As a group they visited Tamara a couple times last week which she really appreciated. I didn't know they were allowing travel so freely between Brooklyn, the UWS, and the heights but I guess I was wrong. I'm going to highlight Jeff because 1) He just got into a master's program at Northwestern and though we'll miss him, this is huge 2) He introduced to the following things that have changed my life (a list within a list) a) Daft Punk's 2007 alive b) scrabulous, which he routinely humiliates me at and 3) and any time spent with the Mulcocks is 100% guaranteed a good time.

Wilbon from PTI for recovering from his heart issues and not forcing me to listen to LeBatard or Adande any more.

Tamara wants to shoutout our bud Carl for making sure that we never have to lose a board/card game we play with him, Brett Favre for helping her win her football fantasy league (let's not talk about it), and Christa for sending her customized M&Ms.

I want to say good riddance to Sam Cassell for quitting on the Clips. I understand where he was coming from but it's a sad day to be a Clippers fan. In advance of tonights results I'm saying goodbye to Hillary. She won't quit after this, but she'll be essentially eliminated and anything else she does will divide her party.

I'm also saying good riddance to my infrequent posting and will be back more regularly.

4 comments:

The Finck Five said...

I have very fond memories of KROQ. Way out in the hood I would have to manipulate my antenna to have the opportunity to hear them. I even had a KROQ bumper sticker in my locker, oh the memories.....

Melissa

The Finck Five said...

Im too am glad to finaly get rid of Hillary, oh wait, she crushed Obama last night.
james

Turbo said...

Ouch! Spoke too soon with the Hillary hating.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Stupids clients - kept me from realizing I gots a shout out on the Halls' blog. I'm just glad you can appreciate some of my obsessions.

Quick point I'd like to make. When you give a shout out to Ton Loc, you technically have to give a shout out to Young MC since he was the mastermind behind Ton Loc's music and lyrics. Listen to Stone Cold Rhymin' and you will see the uncanny similarities. I can lend you the CD if you need it.