Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Take it like it's yours

Last night I finished the first draft on our taxes. I just have to go through and make sure the schedule C for Tamara's business is all correct and we're in for another decent return.
I don't mind paying taxes because I like things like policemen, firemen, and judges. I also think helping people get on their feet is worthwhile. It's a small price to pay for safety and security. I also think that our legal system gives us opportunities you simply don't get in other countries. The American Dream is only possible because of the unique characteristics of America, many of which we have to pay taxes for so I think taxes are worthwhile. Our rates (at least for now) are less than most of the rest of the world. What I do have a problem with is the wasted money. When tithing comes in to the Church, you know what purposes it will be used for. The funds are called sacred. When I was called to be a financial clerk, one of the first things I was told is this is one of the few callings I can go to jail for doing wrong. There's no such accountability with our government. I think that porkbarrel spending, bridges to nowhere, and other wastes of money are egregious breaches of confidence and trust and I don't know why our representatives aren't held more accountable. Hopefully whoever is president (I'm betting it's Obama vs. McCain) will have the sense and decency to right this wrong.

3 comments:

Turbo said...

Obama v. McCain? I hope so. Hillarycare and Hillarynomic regulation scare the bejesus out of me. I couldn't agree more with your point about accountability for wasted tax dollars though. It seems to be a problem with no solution though. It pisses everyone off, but ultimately gets worse every year. If you could figure out the solution, I'm sure you would be a very wealthy individual (not that we all aren't already filthy stinking rich, up in the Heights). Hahaha

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

Personally considering the tax bracket we now find ourselves in....I am all for the "use" tax or whatever it is being called. All this pork is making me sick!

Side of Jeffrey said...

I also don't mind paying taxes. My favorite part is the return - its like finding $1000 in your back pocket after washing it.

Do you file together or separate? I am ignorant to the ways of marriage - enlighten me.