Wednesday, February 6, 2008

You're a what?!?

Last night Tamara and I (see, we do do things together) went to do our civic duty and vote at our local school. We rolled by the several Obama supporters and sole female Clinton supporter. Weird, there were no McCain or Romney representatives. We went into the gym and began the process to verify our identity. There were two ladies, combined ages of about 180, who were doing the paperwork for our area. I got my card and headed to the booth. As I entered I heard some shrieks and commotion but couldn't hear what happened. Then I heard her repeat, "Stop, he's a Republican!" I left the booth and was met with stares of bewilderment and confusion. It was almost like walking into a women's bathroom but worse. Almost as if I had been naked.
In New York you're only allowed to vote for candidates in your registered party so they had to fix the error. They weren't quite sure what to do. It was as if a Republican had never walked through these hallowed doors. It turns out, that's not too far off. One of our friends had been there that afternoon. He was the FIRST Republican the whole day. In the afternoon. There might have been five of us who voted the whole day. Anyway, disaster was averted. I cast my vote, bought my overpriced baked good to support the school, and exited through the sea of blue.
We've talked a lot at work about this election and I've learned a lot about the processes, strategies, and other ideas. I'm kind of disappointed with the current state of affairs of the US. I think fixing the economy/budget and making a plan for Iraq will directly or indirectly solve many of the challenges facing our country. They're all surmountable but will require tough medicine. Yet none of the contending candidates have given concrete plans for either. Ron Paul has some pretty radical ideas but at least you know exactly where he stands and you know he'd do his best to push them through. I don't think immediate withdrawal from Iraq is the best solution, but at least he gave his specific plan. The other candidates have tossed out ideas and vague innuendos but no concrete plans. On top of that, I don't trust they would follow through on the idealistic promises they spout. Or, if they do, they'll implement them so poorly it'll really mess things up. Needless to stay, I'm not too stoked. In the words of Arnold, there are too many economic girlie men. As I solidify my thoughts, I'll share.
Tamara Hall approves this message.

7 comments:

erinmalia said...

i know that feeling. being a republican in maryland (at least in the near-DC part of maryland) is a rare thing indeed.

Kendra Leigh said...

Ha! Pretty much same thing happened to me- I was already mid-vote in the booth when I realized the switches weren't working- because the machine had not been set to the REP setting. I actually felt a little embarrassed and almost apologized for my political affiliations...

Turbo said...

So who'd you vote for? Hahahah, J/K. Looks like you should have voted Democrat, you could have been the tie breaker.

nikki said...

So does this mean you voted for Ron Paul? I had a similar experience going in to vote. They totally gave me the wrong card, but I noticed and told them I was a republican. They got all flustered and turns out they had already put the republican cards away. Disaster was again averted. I find it somewhat comical. I like being the odd ball.

Kaedi said...

I just keep laughing over the "Tamara approved this post" part.

Side of Jeffrey said...

That's why we need Blooomberg - now more than ever.

It took three people to figure out what booth to put me in when I went and voted. No screaming though.

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

It is weird, b/c we have only lived in Republican states so far even though we've been all over the US at some point or another. At least you voted....we need a little shock factor now and then.