Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines Day


I thought that I would do a shout out to all you love birds out there this Valentines Day. Growing up this was by far my favorite holiday, I am a romantic to the core. In high school it was all about the material things. How many boxes of candy, roses, and lets not forget the carnations. You know when you say to your friends "I will buy you one if you buy me one" and then the student government would pass them out during sixth period. I had a best friend that every year for six years would buy me the most beautiful red roses that I had ever seen. I thought that that was what is was all about.
Now being married for two years, life has changed when it comes to Valentines Day. Nope, Doug is not the romantic type of guy. After three years of being together we have agreed to two things. We give each other a card and I don't have to cook. Not so bad, but this year I am actually asking that he write something on the card.
This is not a sad story and I am not complaining (I am saying this to make sure that we don't get nasty e-mails about us not loving each other) But really, I have to say that I am very happy with this agreement. When it really gets down to it, roses and chocolates aside, I have a man that loves and respects me. What more could a women as for? I love you babe.
I would love to hear your favorite Valentines past time or what you did this year.

6 comments:

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

It was dinner out! Remember the Christmas of emergency essentials? Well, let's just say that doesn't happen anymore. When he says what do you want for Christmas or any other holiday, my retort is put some thought into it! OR lately my answer is a trip to anywhere warm!!!!

erinmalia said...

oooh, we had a romantic night at...the baby class we're taking at our hospital. it was awesome. riiiiiight. talking about diapering, bathing, etc. doesn't get more exciting.

but it was fun to do it with c, regardless.

nikki said...

Our romantic night consisted of a run in central park, pancakes and eggs for dinner and a netflix foreign film. It really was the perfect night. Thank goodness neither Cam nor I care to make a big hooplah out of Valentine's Day.

Ellen said...

I agree - grand romantic gestures last about a day. It's the habits that count. Although, husbands cooking dinner for you from time to time is not too much to ask. Scott made elaborate subway sandwiches for dinner (I had turkey bacon avocado, mmmm) and we exchanged cards and he got me flowers. Then we watched Hot Fuzz - it was hilarious!

Side of Caitlin said...

Jeff and I walked out of a restaurant on Valentines because they tricked us! Jeff will blog about it soon. Instead we had delicious Tibetan food. Seriously, it was amazing! T&D when you are ready to take a trip to the East Village- Lets go!

Carl Hardie said...

Wow, I totally thought Doug was writing that post in the beginning. Also, what are you talking about when you say that Doug isn't romantic? He is just a regular old Cuddlebuckets! Doug is totally romantic...if you think that him calling you back in between games of Halo on a guys' night is romantic.