Friday, April 25, 2008

Lilies are not just beautiful



The Lily is one of my favorite flowers, I used them in my wedding bouquet and if we have a daughter one of the names that I am thinking of is Lily. So, you can see why I found the following information interesting.

NASA studies show that Peace Lilies can reduce levels of microscopic mold spores in the air by 60 percent. The flowers sop up the mold organisms through their leaves, then shuttle the spores to the roots for food. This is a boon for bathrooms since it prevents spore buildup on shower curtains and tiles. The result: less sneezing, not to mention less scrubbing, for us. The plant also absorbs atmospheric vapors like acetone and alcohol. Research confirms that routine exposure to these chemicals can lead to dry eye syndrome, dizziness, and muscle weakness-especially in a confined space like a bathroom.

I think that I might go buy some Lilies for my home.

4 comments:

Julia said...

I love Lilies too. White Calla Lilies are my favorite, but I love all types. Perhaps this will give me a good excuse to buy them more often.

Lily is a beautiful name for a girl, and I'm sure Lily Hall would be darling!

Side of Jeffrey said...

Caitlin and I is always trying to have fresh flowers in the home...but they die so fast. Maybe lillies live longer?

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

My favorite too!!! That is also a very cute name and not too common. I love uncommon names & family names. You could luck out and get a cute little boy who isn't quite so emotional!

Mia said...

Wow that is really interesting. I pretty much kill anything that is green, but I am going to try lilies. Hopefully they live longer than my last attempts!