Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Mighty Bruins


Apparently nothing is official until it appears on your blog. This Fall I'll be matriculating (I use big words now since I'm going to grad school, "BW" going forward) in UCLA's Anderson School of Management's MBA program. It's a big transmogrification (BW) and we're dispirited (BW) to leave New York but I've been preparing intently over the last few weeks for student life. My comrade Joe ("The Baron") gave me his busted Xbox 360 which I fixed and now am properly equipped to game online (Look for IVI SMOKEY IVI). I unlocked my inner bibliophile (BW) and picked up some tomes (actually in my lexicon (BW)) from our local library. I started running shirtless so I'm ready for the California sun. I've also been thinking a lot about beaches, lawns, and Mexican food. I think I'm ready.
Seriously though, we're excited for what's ahead but sad to be leaving. One of the main reasons I applied to Columbia is because we love our friends and life here. Since Columbia disrespected me it's now time to move on, barring a divine intervention.
Some have asked about my allegiances when BYU and UCLA compete. In the sports that really matter like track and cross-country, I'll for sure be with BYU. Other than that, I guess it doesn't really matter.
We'll be leaving the end of July and doing lots of stuff before then. We'll also be getting rid of our apartment so if you know anyone looking for a sweet pad, let us know before we give it up.

17 comments:

Katie M said...

Congrats! That's really exciting you guys. I don't blame you for leaving for the California sun.

p.s. we might be interested in the apartment. email me at katejmcneil@yahoo.com and we'll talk more.

Mia said...

Congratulations! California is lucky to have the two of you.

nikki said...

depressed. happy for you but depressed.

Miggy said...

Oh man! That's great news for you, bad news for us. Good luck and hopefully we'll cross paths again!

Tamara said...

Heck yes! Yay for you! You're sure to have BIG, BIG success there!!!

I love UCLA. Some of my fam went there.
My mom lives in L.A. so I'll have to visit!
Woo hoo! Go Doug!

Ellen said...

Felicitations on your matriculation. Columbia is stupid (sorry, Scott).

Julia said...

Are you trying to say something about a Californians vocabulary as compared to a New Yorkers?

Congrats to you guys, and lucky for UCLA, but big bummer for us and for CBS-- I will have a few choice words for the admissions people!

Sechrist Family said...

Well, I am excited you'll be closer to us!! Congratulations! Grad school is actually a good time. We think back when Jared was at Wisconsin and we really loved it. We miss it.

tawni said...

Happy day for us cause now we get you!! We can't wait! Oh, and you don't even understand how good the mexican food is here. Can you say taco truck?? I have only been sick once ;) Well, we can't wait for you guys to get here. You will love UCLA, you will love the UCLA ward, and you will love us over at your house all the time. Did I mention the beaches??

Hurry up and get here! We are waiting!

Kaedi said...

I want to go to LA, too. Geez, to hang with Tawni at the beach, and have mexican food... LUCKY! You guys will be so missed around here.

andrea gale said...

Okay, so happy for you because California is awwwwesome, and sad because I'm a selfish, selfish girl and I don't want my friend to go.....

Korbi said...

sad you will be leaving New York, but happy to have you over here on the West coast! :) Yes, Stephen does the dance from college and he wants to do a shout out of "Let's Get It on" to his roomies. Tamara, I so would have gone to the Bon Jovi concert with you. Always..... :)

erinmalia said...

so are you saying we have only until july to come visit?! i guess we better hurry.

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

You always loved the beach and sun, so at least you can say you've had the best of both worlds! Now we have another excuse to visit CA!

Carl Hardie said...

Alright, post something new now so I'm not reminded that you are leaving everytime I check your blog. Also, I have now decided that your blog is way too offensive and I am going to block you now. I said Good-Day!

Leslie said...

I heard the news today from Ann so I had to check your blog to see if it was really true. Looks like it is. I’m so sad you guys won‘t be my neighbor anymore. Tamara, who am I going to skip Sunday School with, and more importantly, this now means I’m going to have to go to the family ward by myself. You guys will definitely be missed! P.S. Doug, apparently you're just too good for Columbia.

Ryanne said...

So sad you are leaving just as we become neighbors! Maybe we will be neighbors again if Kevin and I ever make it back home to LA. I am so excited for you!