Sunday, April 6, 2008

Stingy

Elder Child spoke during conference about tithing and how he had such a hard time paying his tithing when he was young. It sure didn't sound like he had a hard time. When I was eight years old I was in a photo shoot and earned $100. Looking back I was taken advantage of and should have been paid more but, what are you going to do. Anyway, I had to pay $10 in tithing. $10 was more than I had ever made before and I wasn't very excited about it. As I walked up to give the money to our bishop, I started crying like a little school girl. (I was trying to remember his name but I can't. I can see his face and his brother Bud but can't remember his name. ) It was uncontrollable and I couldn't even see him through my tears. I don't remember a whole lot after that, but I should have been embarrassed if I wasn't. I'm sure my mom was trying to console me but there wasn't a whole lot that you can say to a kid who just gave away ten dollars. Especially since I was so stingy.
When we got married, Tamara knew what she was getting into. My youngest brother Jason is a big fan of our old family videos and showed her one of me when I was eight. On the video I was counting the money I got for my b-day and when I was asked what I was going to spend it on I put it in my pocket and told them I was going to save it. Not much has changed since. Recently I challenged myself to not buy lunch again before I leave my current job in July. I should be take a lunch in the first place but there is almost always food laying around from meetings so I don't have any excuses. It's not much, but considering the bills I have coming up from school it's probably a good practice. We save about 35% of our income and we'll need all we can get. Unless the school gives us some cash money which would be nice.
Anyway, conference was great but the highlight was definitely President Monson telling his story in Priesthood session aobut wiggling his ears. It was sad not to hear from Presidents Hinckley or Faust but Dieter is awesome. I'm a little bit bummed he's been working on losing his accent, but I understand. Conference is always a great motivator and invigorator. A few weeks ago the head of our group went on sabbatical for six months and we had a going away lunch. She gave everybody a bag of gifts. Mine had two candy bars from the UK (she's from there) and a CD from this British band she obsesses about named Supergrass. I also had a bottle of milk. I thought his was odd but most things are where I work and I figured there would be a story or it was to go witht he chocolate bars. Turns out everyone else got a bottle of whiskey and she was thoughtful enough to get me some milk. It's kind of a running joke everytime we go to dinner and I order lemonade-and they don't have it. Anyway, people are aware of our decisions and it'd be a travesty to dissapoint.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

I agree - stingy now equals laughing and rolling in it later. And freedom to explore other avenues of employment if needed. Once we have Scott's first paycheck on July 31st, we will restart the budget thing (abandoned in frustration during the borrow-fest of the last 5 years).

Reagan said...

Awesome doug! I hope you rub off on everyone around you!

shabba shabba said...

You're a lucky man to have a Supergrass CD. Would that I had a British colleague with A)a cool accent and B)CDs of schweet 90s British bands to distribute.

Alas. All my colleagues are Arabs, and, despite my cultural open-mindedness and sincere effort to acclimate, Arabic music sucks.

Mia said...

Nothing wrong with being stingy... as long as that does not include your anniversary or your wife's birthday! I am still bummed that the women of the church missed out on the ear wiggling!

Carl Hardie said...

I can totally picture you crying like a little girl.